Monday, January 5, 2009

Font Smoothing Moaning

Font smoothing (aka anti-aliasing) is supposed to make fonts look nicer.
It does.
However, Apple and Microsoft differ in the way they do it.

Microsoft optimizes visibility on screen.
Apple optimizes similarity of on-screen font and printed font.

Thus, with a mac you get a better WYSIWYG experience, with the price of more blurry fonts.

I prefer to read on screen for short-medium documents, and print out long ones (unless I just need to browse them). I found that ever since I started working with a Mac (which I like more and more), I print more often because the on-screen font looks too blurry and gives me an headache. Thus, I prefer, in this case, Microsoft approach. I wish that both option would be available. I feel bad that I became "less green" ever since I started working with a mac.

Thus, I call to apple:

Reduce the blurriness: Give us an option to optimize on-screen visibility, and help save trees!

(I will try to ue Vista fonts on mac. Maybe it will help).

No comments: